Sunday, November 17, 2013

UC Pres asks: "Do you think there's an adequate connection between basic research and applied research that's marketable? And how do you build that understanding from where you sit?"

and:
Napolitano: One way to think about it is, when you think about California, it's that whole notion of the "California Dream" — that in this state, uniquely, you can make of yourself whatever you wish to. And Silicon Valley is really the California Dream on steroids. So you think, "Well, what can fuel that?" The University of California was probably one of the, if not the best investment, California's founders made. To be able to have a system 10 campuses wide, five health science centers, three of the National Laboratories, to have a system like that as the backbone for this state, and for this area's creativity, innovation, competitiveness, is so very, very key. So what I think we do is we really keep pushing and bringing to life that whole theory of the California Dream.
and
Napolitano: I've just completed my first full month on the job, so I'm still learning and listening. But I've spent time on six of our campuses, and will be at all ten by the end of November. Met with administrators, faculty, staff, students, graduate students, post-doc students. So right out of the gate, it's — we're a public research university. That's a somewhat different role than a public university. We need to support that research function. And that is fueled by not just your undergraduates, but your graduates and your post-docs; and with the downturn in California's economy, the withdrawal of state budget resources, the cuts in federal funding, that's an area where I thought we could put a little extra seed money this year, right now, out of some funds I've identified. So putting more money there. And putting more money in to make sure that the so-called "dreamers" on our campuses have access to the resources they need, in part because they don't qualify for federal resources. Until Congress passes immigration reform, or passes a statutory dream act, they're really caught in the system. So really seeding that, and communicating that our university's doors are open to all who qualify academically. I also know that we're not doing a good enough job explaining how wide open our university's doors are. When I explain that families making under $80,000 a year pay no tuition at the University of California, I usually get some gasps of surprise; and, sadly enough, I get those gasps in low-income schools where you would think people would know that. As the president, I want to make sure those doors stay open but that people know how open they truly are.

Anne Gust Brown: It sure is, yes!

Marshman: Do you have thoughts on the UC system and its challenges?

Brown: I haven't thought as much about the UC system as some other areas that I've had to be involved with. But I would say it's a very daunting challenge that Janet faces, and not just about how accessible the university is, but I think the whole idea of what is a university now, and what does it mean. We talk so much now about how we're trying to prepare students to go into the work force, which, of course, is very important. But I don't know if we're talking a lot about how we prepare students to be citizens. When you look at the dysfunction in Washington, and across the nation; and when I think of some of our big problems that we face as a county, when we think of the Wall Street fiasco that we just went through, I don't think it was [because] people didn't know enough math. I think they knew too much math. I think they didn't know enough values. How do we instill back into our citizens real core values, and how do you focus on that, especially when the pressure is so much about how are they going to be prepared to get a job, which, of course, we want everyone to be prepared to do. But I think it is so much broader. I would encourage you to think a lot about that. How are we coming together as a country with common values and purpose?

Marshman: Let me ask everyone here, do you have any advice for the new president? I'm sure she's not getting enough of it. What do you think she should be doing? Here's your shot!
...
and, there is also this:

Napolitano: I'll go for a story, and that is when I first decided to run for office as attorney general, I had announced my campaign manager, and the next thing, a reporter calls and says, "Janet, that was a great announcement. I have a question. Janet, do you intend to run as a woman?" (loud laughter.)
...

"Women in Leadership: Gaining STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math)," moderated by Barbara Marshman, editor of the editorial pages of the San Jose Mercury News and San Mateo County Times. Participants were:

Janet Napolitano, president of the University of California; Anne Gust Brown, First Lady of California and former executive at The Gap; Shellye Archambeau, CEO of MetricStream; Donna Dubinsky, board chair and CEO of Grok, Inc.; Julia Hu, founder and CEO of Lark.

More here: This is a lightly edited transcript of the conversation.

__
Napolitano also gets an open latter from faculty at UCSB

as far as Gust Brown (wife of the President of the UC Regents, he appoints Regents etc.): pointed earlier to this article on 'first lady'
and,yet, w/in the transcript there is:
Marshman: Anne, did you have thoughts on the leap? I mean you took it under unusual circumstances, from helping to run The Gap to —

Brown:To marrying Jerry Brown.

Marshman: To marrying Jerry Brown.


-does that help?

No comments:

Post a Comment