Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Journalism Questions Arise Covering UCSB, IV Tragedy

Decided to hold off on linking to this post on a DN vs BL view - until after the 'day of mourning and reflection'...so, now here 'tis for your consideration...

see: Tale of Two Papers: Mass Murder and Student Media a comparison of the Daily Nexus and Bottom Line with some UCSB history on them.

and for a another perspective -there is this post here at HuffPo, it includes"

"Immediately, I wondered what I was supposed to do with these photos, and I asked the editorial staff of The Bottom Line, UCSB's weekly student-run newspaper, for their input. It was decided that the photos had no journalistic merit and that their publication would be disrespectful to the family and friends of the victims.

However, this decision put me in strange position: I was both one of the few witnesses to the crime scene and a photojournalist. It left me confused and conflicted, and I could not help but wonder whether publishing photos of a tragedy is ever justifiable."

No comments:

Post a Comment